This cookie recipe, created by my great grandmother, has been a staple in my family since I can remember. It’s one of those recipes where when you are done with dinner and think, ‘hmmm I really want something for dessert but there isn’t anything prepared; what could I make that’s easy with ingredients I have on hand?’ This is it! It’s basically a one-bowl recipe and who doesn’t love peanut butter? I have updated this recipe to be vegan and it turned out so yummy! These are a little more soft and chewy than the original recipe. The cookies in the original recipe (included below) are more crumbly, melt in your mouth. Whether you make the updated version or the original, these cookies will really satisfy that peanut butter craving. Hank says, ‘Ruff!” (Enjoy!).
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Persons: 6
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 2.5 tablespoon water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar (plus a couple tablespoons for sprinkling on top of cookies)
- ½ cup vegan butter (one stick softened)*
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prepare the flax ‘egg’ by combining the flax meal and water in a small bowl.
- Mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes until it reaches an egg-like consistency. (It will look kind of like a gel)
- Meanwhile, in a medium to large bowl combine the brown and granulated sugars
- Add the vegan butter, peanut butter and vanilla to the sugar mixture. Beat with a whisk by hand or with an electric hand mixer for a couple minutes until combined.
- Add flax ‘egg’ to combine
- Then add flour and baking soda to the main mixture until combined.
- Scoop batter in heaping tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Take a fork and press down twice on each cookie in a crisscross pattern.
- Then sprinkle each cookie with the extra granulated sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
*Prep Time: The vegan version of these cookies spreads a little so if you want them more firm, place a bowl of cookie dough in the fridge for 15 mins before baking.
**I use Earth Balance vegan butter sticks in most of my vegan baked goods. It tastes just like butter!